I was supposed to meet my family at Temple Square tonight and look at the lights. I was so excited. My family is fun. Seriously fun.
We always seem to make wonderful memories at Temple Square during Christmastime. There was the year I punched my Uncle in the stomach thinking it was my friend, why I thought it was appropriate to punch my friend I'll never know. Then there was the year I showed up and saw my Uncles mother so bundled up sitting in her wheelchair that all you could see was the whites of her eyes and as soon as I saw her, I just started laughing. Righ.at.her. And let's not forget the year I made a comment about a certain some one's hat and he refused to wear it the rest of the night. I'm sure his ears got frostbite. Like I said, memories. This year was no different.
We were supposed to meet at 5:30 in front of the visitor's center "with the Jesus statue". I left my house at 4:00 to give myself ample time for parking which I knew would be a nightmare. I arrived downtown at 4:45 and drove around for an hour. Yes, an hour, looking for a spot. Every parking garage I found said FULL and never found a spot on the street. I started to scream in my car and every time I would yell, Grant would yell "KAAAY" back to me. SO, after driving for one hour looking for a spot and screaming like a madwoman, I finally double parked where I thought the "Jesus statue" was so I could run in and tell my family to go without me (I don't carry my cell phone much anymore). I threw my van in park, grabbed my kid, and ran to find that the "Jesus statue" was not where I thought it was.
FORGET ABOUT IT. I guess I'm not looking at the lights this year. I'm sure my family waited and waited wondering where in the hell I was.
This is where you might think the story ends. But, it doesn't.
I had an errand to run while I was in the big city. Yes, I call Salt Lake the big city. I had to go to Williams Sonoma and return something, which is why I didn't just ride the train in. I went to Trolley Square and decided I wanted to give the lights one more try. I really wanted to go. So, I went back. What a fool I was.
I found a public parking lot and decided to give it a try. Just as I pulled in, a van was loading to leave. Jackpot. I waited. I was the only car in sight. I was elated. I knew I wouldn't see my family, but I could enjoy the lights and the different Nativity Scenes. A truck turned the corner as the van was pulling out and a girl got out of the truck and walked into the spot and assumed a Peter Pan stance. Oh, hell no. I started to pull in the spot anyway, rolled down my window and said politely "I was waiting for this spot." "We've been driving around for like 20 minutes looking for a spot." "I don't care." And I just keep pulling forward until I was inches away from her then stopped. She asked "Are you going to hit me?" "Nope, but I'm not going to move either." I was shaking, I was scared, I was mad, I was feeling dumb, but I wanted to park my car and that spot was clearly mine. She moved.
I got out and everyone in the truck yelled at me "NICE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT LADY!"
"Thank you."
Grant cried the whole time looking at the lights.
So, I'm sorry. Sorry to my cousins for not showing up and sorry that I ruined those peoples' night.
5 comments:
Don't be sorry, that was your spot. You can't butt in line for a parking spot by sending a human squatter. Shannon says they knew they were trying to take your spot, so nice work. Next time have someone in Bountiful drop you off. Do you just need a new battery for your phone?
Sounds like you had a great night! We had problems finding somewhere to park too. I'm glad you stood your ground. Too many people try and push others around, then get mad. Next year I decided we are going to the lights EARLY. Merry Christmas!
Oh, Sara, what a night. They knew they were trying to take your spot, for sure. Dallas is right, next time you need to use the Bountiful Drop Off Service.
I miss you.
I read this a few days ago and am still laughing! I ADORE you and love how brave you are. In all honesty I would have probably gave them the spot so good for you! You give pushovers like me hope lol lol!
Way to stand your ground. Thats the Sara I know and Love. I hope you had a fabulous Christmas and New Year. Miss you lots.
Post a Comment