Friday, September 10, 2010

Yard Sale

I love to de-junk my house. I make almost monthly donations to the MS Society or the DI. I also recently had my basement carpeted so I've got a pretty big pile of stuff I want to get rid of. For the 3 1/2 years I've lived in this house, I've never had carpet so suddenly I'm in need of a vacuum. So I said to myself, "Self, why don't you try to sell all this stuff instead of donating it and you can use to money to buy a vacuum." I like the idea. I mentioned to my neighbor I was going to have a yard sale and they said they would put a few things in. I've also arranged for my little brother to come to my house and help me with the setup. There's only one problem, I FORGOT TO PUT AN AD IN THE NEWSPAPER!! What an idiot. I've been so confused about my days. I woke up this morning ready to call my primary and remind them about the Program Practice on Thursday. I cannot believe it.

I hope placing an ad in KSL the day before the Yard Sale will suffice. I'm so annoyed.

6 comments:

Mike and Amy said...

Put it on craiglist, too!

Incidentally, when you do get a vacuum, get a Dyson.

Mike and Amy said...

Uh, I mean, craigSlist. But, obviously you already knew that. I just wouldn't be able to sleep tonight knowing that my error was out there in cyberspace. Ha ha!

Shannon Smith said...

We had a yard sale last week. We listed it on KSL the day before but te real key is great signs. I got yellow posterboard from the dollar store and used acrylic craft black paint and a foam sponge brush. It made it quick and very noticeable. All you need is the words yard sale and arrows. No one can ever read addresses as their passing by. Put them in strategic places the night before and you shoul be good. Be prepared for people to show up early, like 7:15 early and have lots of change. Everyone shows up with a twenty dollar bill because they stopped at the ATM before they headed out. I would label prices on all your stuff beforehand because it gets annoying having everyone ask and I think people are more likely to buy an item if they know the price before they even talk to you. Price to sell but also have in mind how low you're willing to go on an item beforehand because a lot of people will ask how low will you go or offer a smaller amount. Also, watch for price tag switching, we had some of that on our more expensive items. Someone brought a bottle of perfume I'd marked as $7 with a $.25 sticker on. Come on, I'm not that dumb! And remember, Getting some money is better than taking it to DI in the end. If you don't already know, talk to Kate when you're ready to get a vacuum. Good deals on Dyson's. Good luck!

Liz said...

I agree with Shannon. Good signs and clear pricetags.

Melissa said...

Good Advice. I'm like you. I love when MS calls and they say they will PICK it up! I make my monthly donations there and DI. It feels great to dejunk. My problem- I need a vacuum too. We just got new carpet. It's nice and soft and 2 vacuums I have used don't work on it. Tried a Dyson too. Let me know what you end up getting. I might have to stop by tomorrow... Good luck!

Sara said...

So, how did it go??