Thursday, October 9, 2008

Where are you from?

I love hearing different accents. Whether it's a NY accent or a Scottish accent I get all tingly.

"Someone" at work today told me I have a Utah accent. I am aware of the accent being in existence, but I didn't think I had it.

5 comments:

Megan said...

I get asked all the time where I am from because of my "accent." It is much strong when I am tired or stressed. No one ever thought I had an accent when I lived in Utah. Ah well.

Robert or Liz said...

I was eating in the VA hospital cafeteria tonight. Think of a VA hospital. Imagine the smell of 35 homeless guys all in a room. Of course they all smoke 1ppd(pack per day) or more. The food is shipped frozen. You can always count on mashed potatoes and gravy. Tonight I went with the meatloaf. I opted to have it on pasta with gravy. I told the friendly lunch lady that I would pretent it was beef stroganaff.(sp?) She said looking at the other lunch lady,"No one's ever called it thet bafor" , I said "what, stroganaff?" She said, "No, Pasta, ever one here jus calls it noodles." Yup I gotta Utah accent.

The Yarn Queen said...

Well I don't have an accent, but I've lived in Utah all my life.
Except when I was in Baton Rouge LA and they thought we talked really funny, but then just listen the them when you are there.

Liz said...

At least you don't sound like a "big ol' idiot!"

diana said...

When I tell people I'm from Utah they always say, "Really? You don't sound like you're from Utah."

So I thought I must not have the "Utah accent"; until last year in primary when I was teaching the kids "Picture a Christmas". Apparently I didn't enunciate the "c" in picture. The primary president laughed at me and said, "What are you from Utah or something?!"
I proudly told her that I am.

But I've always made sure I say "PIK - TURE" since then.