Tuesday, July 22, 2008

'Cause ya can can can!

I have the best neighbors a person could ask for. When I get home from work there are often fresh vegetables or fruit waiting for me on my porch. Last week I came home to so many apricots.



I canned them tonight after work.

Liz and Phoebe...Canning is easy, super easy. Buy the Ball Blue Book of Canning and a 21 Quart Waterbath Canner (I got mine at the DI for $3) and start canning. I do suggest buying a can grabber, they make grabbing the hot bottles out of the waterbath so much more pleasant. I also suggest a magnet stick grabber thingie for getting your lids out of the boiling water. You can get a complete starter kit here for about $50. Smith and Edwards also has a great canning selection.

Canning is my way of builing up my food storage. I think I'm going to chicken and beef next month, along with the gazillion tomatoes from my garden.

4 comments:

Phoebe said...

I want to know how to can.

Liz said...

So do I. What's the name of your book?

Keiauni said...

Hey Sara!
I found your blog on Megan's list.
Your blog is so witty!
Just thought I'd say hello:)

Keiauni

Shannon Smith said...

Ah, Moulin Rouge.