Thursday, July 31, 2008

Camping

It's fun, right? Sleeping outside, bacon and eggs in the morning, hot dogs over the campfire at night, smores, (I'll give you instructions for the perfect smore at the end of this post.)hiking, songs and memories being shared around the fire, water skiing in the a.m. and p.m. even if it is in a FREEZING.COLD.LAKE, and the stars in the sky...oh the stars.

Fun for everyone...except my sister-in-law Kirstin. She hates anything that takes her out of her comfort zone.

Kirstin spent the first two nights sleeping in the truck. She was in the shell of the truck on a lovely mattress, then on the last night decided she wanted to sleep in a tent. Paul set up a tent for her and after spending 20 minutes trying to convince her to "Just lay down!" he zipped up the tent and headed to bed. Two minutes passed. Then this is what we heard:
Kirstin: Where's my lotion? I can't find it.

two minutes of silence.

Kirstin: (a little more loudly)I can't sleep without my lotion.

two minutes of silence.

Kirstin: (louder and more angry)Is anyone out there looking for my lotion?

two minutes of silence.

Kirstin: (louder and more angry) Come on guys!! Where IS my lotion?!?!

five minutes of silence.

Kristin: (sweet as a peach) Never mind, found it. You can stop looking now.

five minutes of silence.

Kirstin: (loudly yelling) Okay, I'm done with the tent!

30 seconds of silence.

Kirstin: (yelling more loudly) I'm done with this tent! Hello? Get me outta here!

15 seconds of silence (except Ryan and Chris laughing)

Kirstin: (I'm pretty sure her eyes were turning green at this point) SORRY! I'M NOT MADE FOR TENTS. NOW GET ME OUT OF THIS TENT! DAD GET ME OUT OF THIS TENT! SOMEBODY HELP ME! DAD GET ME OUTTA HERE! GET.ME.OUT.OF.THIS.TENT!!!! GET ME OUTTA HERE!
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!

One day of our trip, every one was leaving for various activities. Ryan and his dad were going on a 20 mile bike ride. Everyone else was going on a hike that was much too long for Kirstin. I thought I'd stay back with her and take her on a hike. We hiked to the outhouse and back...100 yards...it was far enough. Then we resumed our seats in the camp chairs and belted out Carpenter's songs into our pen microphones. We sounded good.

The hikers returned mid "I'm on top of the world looking down on creation and the only inspiration I can find..." when Kirstin started to move her free hand in a back and forth motion I can't describe "is the love that I found ever since you been around..." Chris asked her what she was doing with her hand. Without missing a beat and with all seriousness Kirstin replied "Tambourine, Karen Carpenter had a tambourine. (continues singing) Your love puts me at the top of the world." Of course, a tambourine. Why didn't I think of that?

We were playing a dice game when she scored big, or little for that matter, she would say "I'll take my two hundred points, IN CASH."

One last story then I'll put it to rest. Paul was driving to the campsite towing his RV trailer. He was on a dirt road and took a turn, which was very unsafe in Kirstin's opinion, and she said "Heavenly Father, hallowed be thy name. Forgive my father for he knows not what he does." Now, name the movie she was quoting, thank you.

I wish I had stories to share about the trip that didn't invlove Kirstie, but she really was the highlight.

Please know I'm not making fun of my sister-in-law, I love Kirstin with all of my heart. I treasure my time with her. After all, when I'm with her I have someone to sing into a pen microphone with.

Kirstin Garff, incentive to marry into the Garff family.


Ryan and Paul in all their biking glory. Apparently Paul flips the bird at drivers and call them "Jerks" when he's riding.


Ryan...I get butterflies when he's putting the ski on. I just love to watch him.


Chris' silly wetsuit.


Since I poste the picture of his goofy wetsuit, I thought I'd do him a favor and post a picture showing how good he is, even wearing a diaper wetsuit.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love to hang out with Chris and Ryan on the boat? It's just...fun. I'm glad they let me tag along.

7 comments:

Dallas said...

Here's a G-rated version:

http://crazykooks.com/gallery/albums/facebook/ryan.sized.jpg

diana said...

I read your post last night and for the first time would have been the first to comment. But Kirstin stumped me on the movie quote! I even had a dream last night that I met Kevin Smith (a la Silent Bob) and told him the quote. In my dream he said something with "Earth" in the title, but I'm assuming that's not right?

I'm so glad you're a Garff.

Linette Smith said...

when will Paul get the rest of his bike pants out of layaway?

what a fun flog.

Sara - Rock & Roll Party is Sat, Aug 16 at 6. See you then. LS

Linette Smith said...

i didn't do spell check, i meant "what a fun blog"

Liz said...

this is a fun flog! I have no idea what movie the quote is from. Have fun at the Rock & Roll party.

I agree with you~ I love tagging along with you all on your boat. I didn't know what the ski was for until I saw my bro in law. It's poetry.

Unknown said...

Great rooster tails.
Sounds like a great time was had by all...
Very fun post and i was wondering also when Paul would get the rest of his bike shorts. Maybe he's a triathelte.
The is Mary Ann not David.

Kate Smith said...

Ah Sara, so funny. I'm sitting in the lobby of a holiday inn laughing hysterically. I'm really starting to understand that Chris likes to express his personality through his clothing - like the Beaver Dam jump-suit. Just classic. k8